Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The shape or color of an object frequently catches my attention.



 These constructed abalone shell beads screamed at me,

 the blue of this agate slab was irresistible, it ended up in Sunshine Artist Magazine.


 This gray agate slab had a wonderful shape and a real challenge on which to put a bezel, it ended up in Bead & Button Magazine.

Both the shape and the color of this Aragonite star captured my attention and presented unique challenges in mounting and embellishing.

Then there is the beautiful dichroic fused glass bead I couldn't resist that lay on my workbench for several years before I went to Florida to take a class to learn a new technique. Half way through the class I remembered that bead and knew exactly what I wanted to do with it.
It ended up in Beadwork Magazine.

Serendipity also plays a part in my work. I bought a gorgeous iron pyrite nugget. While I was examining it I wondered if there were any paths through the nugget or if I would have to drill a hole . I started poking around with a long beading needle and suddenly, it slid straight through the nugget.This is the only time this has ever happened, so I called it "Serendipity", of course.

Some times texture attracts my attention. The sparkle, the slightly pinkish creamy color and the texture of the surface of this calcite cluster really inspired me.





No comments:

Post a Comment